Brexit and your business
London is the best city in the world in which to do business and the Mayor of London has been clear that it will always remain open. However, we know that businesses are unsure about how they can be best prepared for Brexit.
To support you, the London Growth Hub and the Mayor of London have launched this new Brexit Business Resource Hub. It will bring together key resources from a range of partners to help you with business planning, supporting you to map areas of your business with potential exposure to Brexit.
This page will be continually updated with news, factsheets and events in London, to help you and your business prepare while we await more information on how Brexit will be implemented. When the implications of Brexit become clearer, we will also deliver a series of events and online guides that will support your business.
To help us understand your needs and priorities we would love to hear from you. Please complete our short survey to help us, and our partners, develop activities to support your business.
If you would like to receive updates from us regarding Brexit and our future programme of support please complete the form at the bottom of the page to sign up to our mailing list.
London Growth Hub Resources
Factsheets and guides brought to you by the London Growth Hub to support your business:
- Preparing for Brexit: Read the London Growth Hub’s factsheet to find out what you can do to prepare your business for Brexit.
- Brexit – What we know so far: Factsheet from the London Growth Hub helping you to understand what decisions have already been made regarding Brexit, future activity and how it might affect your business.
There are many resources out there to support you and your business with Brexit:
- Brexit Partnership Pack: Read guidance from the Government on how importers and exporters can prepare for a no-deal Brexit.
- Small Business Brexit Pack: Read and access resources from the FSB on how small businesses can prepare for the different end-state Brexit scenarios.
- How to prepare for Brexit if there’s no deal: Read guidance from Government on how to prepare if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.
- Brexit guides: Read ICAEW’s practical guides on Brexit, including potential opportunities for UK businesses.
- Planning for Brexit: Read guide from the Institute of Directors which provides a minimum list of the areas companies should be checking when mapping out their potential exposure to Brexit, as well as the steps they should consider taking to maximise their readiness.
Sector specific news and resources
Select a sector from the list below to view sector specific news and resources
- Tourism and hospitality
- Vehicles, transport and logistics
- Agriculture and farming
- Food and drink
- Professional and Business services
Brexit events in London
Upcoming Brexit related events taking place across London:
- Time to Talk Brexit, 14th January 2019, Brent Civic Centre, HA9
- Seminar: Brexit for employers, 24th January 2019, Anglo Study Centre, WC1B
- Brexit seminar: business’ people strategies in the light of Brexit, 12th February 2019, York House, TW1
- PM understood to be delaying Brexit vote (10 December 2018)
The prime minister is to make a statement on Brexit as No 10 confirms Tuesday’s vote has been cancelled.
- Brexit legal advice warns of UK being trapped by Irish backstop (5 December 2018)
May releases attorney general’s full analysis after MPs’ contempt of parliament vote.
- Ministers facing ‘contempt’ claims ahead of big debate (4 December 2018)
MPs are debating whether to find ministers in contempt of Parliament over their decision not to release the full legal advice on the Brexit deal.
- EU officials meet to finalise agreement (23 November 2018)
EU officials are meeting to finalise the Brexit deal and address last-minute demands from Spain.
- UK and EU agree on text covering future relationship (22 November 2018)
The UK and the EU have reached an agreement on beefed-up text covering future relationship.
- May to head to Brussels to finalise Brexit deal, says No 10 (20 November 2018)
PM will discuss future plan with European commission president Jean-Claude Juncker.
- Brexit deal: key points from the withdrawal agreement (14 November 2018)
The 585-page draft withdrawal agreement negotiated between the European Union and the United Kingdom has been published.
- Cabinet backs drafts Brexit agreement (14 November 2018)
The cabinet has backed a draft withdrawal agreement between the UK and the EU, Theresa May has said.
- May’s crunch cabinet meeting over Brexit deal delayed amid row (7 November 2018)
A crucial cabinet meeting to agree the UK’s Brexit negotiating position has been pushed back.
- No additional checks on EU employees required, says immigration minister (5 November 2018)
The immigration minister has confirmed that employers will not have to make any additional checks on EU nationals
Press releases and articles
- Most companies set to implement Brexit contingency plans (22 October 2018)
The majority of businesses are preparing to implement contingency plans to protect against the impact of a no-deal Brexit.
- How to manage Brexit supply chain risks (10 October 2018)
Businesses with integrated EU and UK supply chains are particularly vulnerable to Brexit.
- Budget to set tone for post-Brexit economy (9 October 2018)
The Chancellor must turn warm words for business into action.
- Business wants preferential deal with EU (1 October 2018)
Nearly two-thirds of directors want to see the continuation of some sort of free movement of people post-Brexit.
- Impact of ‘no-deal’ Brexit on intellectual property (25 September 2018)
The Intellectual Property Office has published new guidance to help UK businesses prepare for changes to intellectual property law in the event of a ‘no-deal’ Brexit.
- EU-only UK traders urged to prepare for a ‘no-deal’ Brexit (14 September 2018)
HMRC has written to VAT registered UK businesses that only trade with the EU to help them prepare for a ‘no-deal’ Brexit.
- New VAT threshold for sales of digital services in the EU (12 September 2018)
HMRC has launched a consultation on changes to VAT for businesses selling digital services to
consumers in the EU.
- Micro-Businesses fear Brexit slump (10 September 2018)
Two-thirds of freelancers and micro-businesses in the UK think that Brexit will damage the economy, while 60% want a second referendum on EU membership.
- No change to workplace rights if no Brexit deal (24 August 2018)
There will be no changes to UK employment and workplace rights derived from EU law if the UK leaves the EU without a formal deal in place, the UK government has confirmed.
- Horizon 2020 funding if there’s no Brexit deal (23 August 2018)
Guidance published by the Department for Exiting the European Union has confirmed plans to guarantee Horizon 2020 funding awarded to organisations post-Brexit.
This page will be continually updated with news, factsheets and events delivered in London, to help you and your business prepare.
To help us understand your needs and priorities we would love to hear from you. Please complete our short survey to help us, and our partners, develop business support activities to support your business.
You can also call Government’s national Business Support Helpline on 0300 456 3565 to speak to an adviser about any questions you have about how your business will be affected by Brexit.