News and updates
This page provides a round-up of the latest news, developments and support available for businesses and the self-employed during the coronavirus pandemic.
News and updates
Press releases and articles
- Plans announced for London’s COVID-19 recovery (22 May 2020)
A new London Transition Board will co-ordinate London’s response as it emerges from the lockdown and begins to reopen its economy while controlling the virus.
- Help with mortgages to continue for homeowners affected by coronavirus (22 May 2020)
Homeowners struggling to pay their mortgage due to coronavirus will be able to extend their mortgage payment holiday for a further three months, or start making reduced payments, in proposals published today.
- Future Fund launches (20 May 2020)
The Government’s £500 million Future Fund opens for applications today (Wednesday 20 May) with innovative and high-growth businesses able to secure investment to help them through the coronavirus outbreak.
- Government introduces legislation to relieve burden on businesses and support economic recovery (20 May 2020)
The Government has introduced a new bill, which will put in place a series of measures to amend insolvency and company law to support businesses to address the challenges resulting from the impact of coronavirus.
- Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate Scheme set to launch (19 May 2020)
Employers will be able to make claims through the scheme from 26 May.
- Larger businesses to benefit from loans of up to £200 million (19 May 2020)
Government extends maximum loan size available through the Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan Scheme from £50 million to £200 million.
- All over-fives in UK now eligible for test (18 May 2020)
Everyone aged five and over in the UK with symptoms can now be tested for coronavirus.
- Government announces roadmap taskforces (13 May 2020)
Five new ministerial-led taskforces have been set up to develop plans for how and when closed sectors can reopen safely.
- Applications for Self-Employment Income Support Scheme open early (13 May 2020)
The Government’s scheme to support the self-employed has today opened for claims.
- UK furlough scheme extended to October (12 May 2020)
The UK scheme to pay wages of workers on leave because of coronavirus will be extended to October. However, the Chancellor said the Government will ask companies to start sharing the cost of the scheme from August onwards.
- New guidance launched to help Brits get back to work safely (11 May 2020)
Government publishes guidance for employers to help them get their businesses back up and running and workplaces operating safely.
- The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy (11 May 2020)
The Government has published its roadmap for how and when the UK will adjust its response to the COVID-19 crisis.