Tomorrow’s Market Application
Tomorrow’s Market is a new and innovative business support programme from the London Growth Hub that aims to nurture a new generation of market traders – people that are currently working from home, in pop-ups or online and have a unique product or service which they sell.
Tomorrow’s Market aims to support new businesses to grow, to reach new customers and audiences and to work with experienced traders and business experts to take the next step to elevate their businesses to success.
The project is delivered by art and design collective, Something and Son Ltd.
Market trading is low cost, no boss and high return – we’re giving 15 ambitious Londoner’s the chance to turn clever ideas into successful businesses, we hope that’s you!
What will you get:
- Each successful candidate will be provided with a stall, in one of London’s thriving markets, to trade between March – September 2019
- There will be a £500 bursary (split across two payments of £250 payments, to be paid at the beginning and again on completion of programme)
- Practical and technical training based on your business e.g. food hygiene and safety
- Industry mentors will provide ongoing support to boost your confidence, point out any pitfalls to be avoided, and to lend an ear when you need words of wisdom or to talk through any problems you might have
- Expertise advice in shaping your business plan
- Induction week will introduce you to the programme, with sessions on business modelling, branding and trading within a market or on a micro-scale.
Who is it for:
- Aged 18+
- Resident of any London borough
- Have either a product to sell or a personal service to benefit customers (we are looking for diverse products and services, as well as traditional market trades)
- Have a minimum of 2 years of trading experience, either in market, at home or online
- We are seeking highly motivated and talented individuals. People that can think outside of the box or can demonstrate new approaches to a current market trade or use the market stall to present their services in an attractive way that people would not be used to
- We are also seeking to encourage applications from people who are currently under-represented within this industry. This includes candidates who come from all backgrounds including black, Asian or ethnic minority backgrounds, disabled candidates, those from the LGBTQ+ community or people on low income. Everyone is welcome!
- We encourage applicants, whether they have no formal qualifications or those who have taken the formal educational route.
Deadline for applications is 5.00pm on Friday 11th March 2019
Successful candidates will need to be available for interview on one of the following dates: 21/03/19 or 22/03/19.
There will be a second round of interviews on the 27/03/19 or 28/03/19.
If a candidate is not able to attend these interview dates, we will not be able to process their application further.
The first stage interview will require you to set aside half a day (up to 4 hours), the aim is for us to get to know you to see whether you are the right fit for the programme. The process will involve a quick pitch with a group of other candidates, then a chat with experienced market traders and then a Q&A session with the panel. You will be required to bring in your products or be prepared to offer a demonstration of your service to the panel.
The second interview will be for 1 hour and focus on your business model and business plan, which you will prepare in advance. There will be a 10-minute talk through your plan, a discussion about how you trade, and then the panel will then ask a few questions, for 20 minutes, and time will be allocated for you to ask the panel any questions at the end.
After interviews, the successful candidates will be notified by the 29/03/19 as to whether they have been successful. All successful candidates will need to be available for induction week training on the 02 and 03 and 04 and 05/04/19.
How we use your information:
The information you are providing will be used only for the purpose for which you provide it. This information will be used for the purpose of assessing your application and will be shared with the Tomorrow’s Market project team and delivery partner for this process.
If you are selecting to receive any newsletter(s), you are providing your consent for us to process your personal data in this manner for this purpose. We will not add you to any other mailing lists unless you ask us to.